The Playground Activity Leaders program or PAL program has been designed to empower students to drive the changes that they want to see to make the playground more active and inclusive during break times. It is about students developing a shared vision for change in partnership with staff and collaborating on processes that will initiate the positive changes they want to see in the playground. As students work through the PAL modules they will learn important skills for working with others and leading change.
The PAL program comes with a Facilitator’s Guide that provides step-by-step instructions on how to deliver each of the PAL modules as well as implementation ideas for running the program within your school. The program also includes the PALs Playbook (student workbooks) that student leaders use to record their learning from each of the PALs modules, as well as to plan their playground projects. Each of these are downloadable pdfs so you can print off as many copies as you require for your school staff and participating students.
The aims of the PAL program are to:
- give students the skills and understandings to promote active choices in the playground and to effectively manage playground activities
- empower student leaders to take ownership of the activity choices available in the playground.
Playground Activity Leaders will:
- develop an understanding of leadership roles and qualities
- develop skills to plan, organise and manage playground games and activities
- apply conflict resolution and problem solving strategies to resolve disputes
- develop skills to negotiate game rules and apply inclusive practices.
Module 1: What makes an effective leader?
- Leaders we admire
- Characteristics and qualities
- What makes you a good PAL?
Module 2: Leadership skills
- Part 1: Communication skills
- Part 2: Decision making and problem solving
- Part 3: Conflict resolution.
Module 3: Planning for an active and inclusive playground
- What makes a playground active and inclusive?
- What changes do you want to see in your playground?
- Planning your action
- Taking action.
- Roles of a Playground Activity Leader.
The PALs Program is designed to be implemented with the Peaceful Playgrounds Program and can be bought as an add-on to that program for just $110 inc GST.